I am an Assistant Professor at Florida State University and a founder of BigLab!, where we do research in Data Science, Large-scale Data Management and Machine/Deep Learning, Web-search, and Mobile Computing. One of our most recent projects is COVIDKG.ORG - an interactive, large-scale Knowledge Graph, populated with up to date, trustworthy knowledge about COVID-19.
I earned my Ph.D. and M.Sc. in Computer Science from the University of Washington working with Lucian Popa and Linda Shapiro.
I did my Postdoc at Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL) of MIT with the A.M. Turing Award recipient Michael Stonebraker. I completed my undergraduate education at St. Petersburg ITMO University (ACM-ICPC World Champions 7 times).
Before that I graduated from Presidential Physics/Mathematics Lyceum #239.
I also spent some time working in industry to apply my research - At IBM Almaden Research Center on Data Integration (project Clio, productized as a part of IBM Infosphere);
at Google on Web-search and Large-scale Machine Learning (productized as parts of SETI and Froogle); at Microsoft Research on Natural Language Processing (productized as a part of Bing!). My Erdös number is 3.
- "Leveraging Scalable Profiling to Learn and Visualize the Latest Trustworthy COVID-19 Medical Research Findings"
Michael Gubanov, Sophie Pavia, Anna Pyayt, William Goble, to appear in ACM CIKM, 2022
- "Simplifying Access to Large-scale Structured Datasets by Meta-Profiling with Scalable Training Set Enrichment"
Sophie Pavia, Rituparna Khan, Anna Pyayt, Michael Gubanov, in ACM SIGMOD, 2022
- WebLens: Towards Interactive Large-scale Structured Data Profiling
Rituparna Khan, Michael Gubanov, in ACM CIKM 2020, online [pdf]
- Hybrid.Poly: A Consolidated Interactive Analytical Polystore System
Maksim Podkorytov, Michael Gubanov, in ICDE 2019, Macao, China SAR [pdf]
- CognitiveDB: An Intelligent Navigator for Large-scale Dark Structured Data
Michael Gubanov, Manju Priya, Maxim Podkorytov, in WWW 2017, Perth, Australia
- Generating UFOs from the Classified Object Tables
Anusha Kola, Harshal More, Sean Soderman, Michael Gubanov, in IEEE Bigdata 2017, Boston, MA
- Hybrid: A Large-scale Linear-Relational Database Management System
Michael Gubanov, Christopher Jermaine, Zekai Gao, Shangyu Luo, MIT Annual Database Research Conference 2016, Cambridge, MA
- Type-aware Web search
Michael Gubanov, Anna Pyayt , in EDBT 2016, Bordeaux, France
- DataXFormer: Leveraging the Web for Semantic Transformations
Zia Abedjan, John Morcos, Michael Gubanov, Ihab Ilyas, Michael Stonebraker, Paolo Papotti, Mourad Ouzanni, in CIDR 2015, Asilomar, California
- Large-scale Semantic Profile Extraction
Michael Gubanov, Michael Stonebraker EDBT 2014, Athens, Greece
- Text and Structured Data Fusion in DataTamer at Scale
Michael Gubanov, Michael Stonebraker, Daniel Bruckner, IEEE ICDE 2014, Chicago, Illinois
- ReadFast: High-relevance Search-engine for Big Text [bib] [pdf]
Michael Gubanov, Anna Pyayt. ACM CIKM 2013, San Francisco, California
- IBM UFO Repository: Object-oriented Data Integration [bib] [pdf] [book]
Michael Gubanov, Lucian Popa, Howard Ho, Hamid Pirahesh, Jeng-Yih Chang, Shr-Chang Chen. VLDB 2009, Lyon, France
"Much have I learned from my teachers, more from my colleagues, but from my students, most of all."
--Rabbi Hanina (b. Ta'anit 7a)
Students(advice by Jason Eisner,Kevin Gimpel,David Peterson)
- Eric Almanza
- Purna Chandra
- Sophie Pavia
- Saferi Rahman
- Dylan Grant
- Manju Krishnan, US Bank, (Full Stack Software Engineer)
- Anusha Kola, HCL America, (Software Engineer)
- Sai Amirishetty, Walmart (Software Engineering Intern)
- Yuqi Li
- Maxim Podkorytov, Facebook (Research Scientist)